Congratulations to the winners and finalists of the Spring 2016 LAR Literary Awards!
Short Fiction (Judge by Tom Janikowski)
Winner: Aram Kim—“Heun-jeok”
First Runner-up: Leslie Blanco—“The Lion”
Second Runner-up: Heather Bourbeau—“Fish Fire Dreams”
Flash Fiction (Judged by Ron Koertge)
Winner: Barbara Fried—“After Henry”
First Runner-up: Michael Twist—“The Art of Betterment”
Second Runner-up: Randolph Thomas—“To the Bones”
Creative Nonfiction (Judged by Seema Reza)
Winner: Kimberly Meyer—“Rupture”
First Runner-up: Connie Kuhns—“Marriage on the Download”
Second Runner-up: Cathy Arden—“Coming Clean”
Poetry (Judged by Brynn Saito)
Winner: rebecca brown—“On Being Asked What Question I Don’t Want to Answer”
First Runner-up: John Blair—“There is a Willow Grows Aslant a Brook”
Second Runner-up: Annie Stenzel—“Yearning for Petrichor”
All winners will receive $1000 and publication in LAR issue 21 (Spring 2017).
Bi-annual Awards for Fall 2016!
The Los Angeles Review Bi-annual Awards for Fall 2016!
Short Fiction Award, with judge Amy Hassinger (2500 word max)
Flash Fiction Award, with judge Brian Doyle (500 word max)
Creative Nonfiction Award, with judge Carol Becker (1500 word max)
Poetry Award, with judge Julie Marie Wade (50 line max)
• Submissions for each contest are accepted via Submittable for $20 USD.
• The fall contests open July 1, 2016 and close October 1, 2016.
• Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please notify us immediately at email@example.com if the work is accepted elsewhere.
• Only previously unpublished writing will be considered. Entries are not considered for general inclusion in The Los Angeles Review.
• In the cover letter field of each submission, include author’s name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number. Do NOT include this information in the submitted file.
• The winners will be selected in spring 2017 and announced via our website, and a Red Hen Press press release.
• The winning works will be published in The Los Angeles Review, Issue 22.
• Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org